Takatsuma shrine in Nojiri is heavily intertwined with the legend about how Japan came to be.
The origin of Takatsuma shrine is lost somewhere in the distant past. But Nojri is mentioned in the “Nihon Shoki” and in the “Engishiki” by Emperor Keiko as Hinata station and Nojiri station.
According to the genealogy of the Chō, a powerful family whose ancestors came to nearby Masaki from the capital, people have turned to Takatsuma shrine for assistance with pioneering and guidance, anything to do with cows or horses, protection or simply a bit of luck thanks to the enshrinement of Sarutahiko Ōgami.
In those days, Takatsuma shrine was still referred to as Daiō Gongen, even though it was located in Tenjin, Nojiri.
A stone monument and a holy tree remain to this day in its original place and tell of its history.
After several generations, the shrine was restored and transferred to Daiō, Nojiri, which befit its name at the time.
In 1664, the 21st feudal lord of the Shimazu Clan, Mitsuhisa Shimazu, prayed for a good hand at martial arts, for territorial safety and prosperity for generations to come.
For many, many years to come, the Shimazu Clan would take care of the shrine and repeatedly rebuild the main hall when necessary.
The renaming of the shrine took place in the first year of the Meiji era, 1868, when Shinto and Buddhism got separated.
The current main shrine and worship hall were built as a commemorative project for the 2600th anniversary of the imperial era in 1945. Some further restoration was conducted in 1980 and 1985.
Yearly celebrations are held on November, 28th. Though the shrine may not be very gorgeous, it has been around for what seems forever and the air is soaked with wishes of the past.
Photos will follow soon!!